DonorPerfect Predicts 23% Growth in Online Donations for 2017 #GivingTuesday, International Total Expected to Exceed $205 Million
#GivingTuesday Founder, Henry Timms, Cites 3 Future Trends in #GivingTuesday Fundraising
FORT WASHINGTON, PA, November 21, 2017 – DonorPerfect Fundraising Software predicts that the nonprofit community will see a 23% increase in donations this year for #GivingTuesday, the international philanthropic event that generated $168 million last year with participation across 98 countries.
According to Jon Biedermann, Vice President of DonorPerfect and a leading nonprofit sector data analyst: “Based on the data we’ve seen from the thousands of nonprofit organizations on the DonorPerfect platform, plus what we expect to see from Facebook, PayPal, Blackbaud and other fundraising providers, we are predicting 23% growth year-over-year, and that #GivingTuesday 2017 will exceed $206 million in total gift volume.”
Biedermann serves on the board of directors of The Giving USA Foundation, and recently interviewed the founder of #GivingTuesday, Henry Timms, Executive Director of the 92nd Street Y in New York City. Timms said the inspiration for starting Giving Tuesday in 2012 was localized and altruistic.
“At the 92nd Street Y, we were thinking how do we build communities in new ways, how do we re-think what a community center does? Black Friday and Cyber Monday created these massive surges of interest around retail. So our thought was: after Black Friday and Cyber Monday, which was all about consumption, how about a day around philanthropy and compassion?”
Entering the 6th annual day of giving, Henry Timms, cited three trends he’s predicting for the future of #GivingTuesday fundraising:
- ● “One: it’s going to be more global. #GivingTuesday will continue to become much more global with leaders in each country helping to grow and bolster the movement.
- ● Two: it will become more local. What’s interesting about #GivingTuesday is the bigger it’s gotten, the smaller it’s gotten There are a lot of city campaigns, block campaigns, or ‘give where you live’ campaigns. The scale of the movement on social media, in practical terms, means it’s actually getting quite smaller in some ways, which I think is really an effective development.
- ● And three: It’s becoming more human: #GivingTuesday is at a scale right now where those that are successful are seeing it as an opportunity to engage more people fully in their causes.”
“The big shift with #GivingTuesday is being replicated in philanthropy more generally,” says Timms, “which is the shift of us thinking about people less as donors and more as owners of causes. What we’ll see with #GivingTuesday is that the organizations that are going to get ahead are really going to put the cause and the fundraising in the hands of their communities.”
Overall, in 2016, $168 million was raised in the 24 hours of #GivingTuesday for more than 40,000 nonprofits around the world. Nonprofit organizations that use DonorPerfect to track, manage and collect donations:
- ● Experienced a 27% increase in 2016 #GivingTuesday donations over 2015
- ● Saw online donations rise 48% from 2015
- ● Received an average online gift amounting to $158.38
Other donor management platforms saw the following growth rates in 2016 online donations:
- ● Blackbaud – 19%
- ● Network For Good – 17%
- ● PayPal – 5%
To see the Henry Timms interview — or get DonorPerfect’s e-book “How to Create Your #GivingTuesday Campaign” — please visit: https://www.donorperfect.com/givingtuesday/
For over 25 years, nonprofits have trusted DonorPerfect to maximize fundraising success, engage their supporters, and mobilize action for their mission. With over 50,000 monthly users, DonorPerfect has helped organizations raise over $100 billion. DonorPerfect’s cloud-based CRM system expands to incorporate growth tracks like online fundraising, donor engagement, fundraising events, donor retention and more.
- ● DonorPerfect is the #1 ranked donor management software out of 240 software systems in the 2017 FrontRunners Scorecard, which is based on client reviews.
- ● DonorPerfect received the #1 rating in 18 out of 19 donor management software categories in an independent study conducted by NTEN/Idealware.
Learn more at www.donorperfect.com
Since 1981 SofterWare, the parent company of DonorPerfect Fundraising Software, has been developing and supporting software that helps nonprofit organizations and educational institutions raise money, operate efficiently, and drive growth. SofterWare has grown exponentially from a small entrepreneurial business to a $50 million+ company with over 10,000 nonprofit, child care, camp, school, and payment processing clients. In 2017, SofterWare was named to the Inc. 5000 ranking of the nation’s fastest-growing private companies for the 9th consecutive year.